Let’s be honest! All parents hate school fundraisers especially when your child runs home so excited to sell 100 dollars worth of wrapping paper. Then they get a 2 dollar helicopter. I have been pleasantly surprised since starting school there has been a serious lack of any fundraisers. I have decided that there was a reason we never saw a fundraising episode on “Little House on the Prairie” The same applies to us here.
- There are only 87 students in our entire school, so if they do go somewhere, one bus fits them all, or it's because there is really nowhere to go, so no need for field trips.
- Nathan, as a fifth grader, has cafeteria duty after lunch- cleaning trays washing, tables, etc. They save money by only having 1 lunch lady!
- The school was built in 1887 and still uses the original bell, cutting on electricity, so I am sure the school has been paid off for awhile.
- My kids weren’t allowed to drink any of the water, due to E-coli being found in the hundred year old pipes. (again low water bill)
- Ben and Nathan both help take care of the schools large garden. They are also allowed to eat whatever they want at recess. (no need for snack money)
- Last of all they have their own chicken coop. They take care of the chickens then sell the eggs at the local farmers market to help pay for parties, computers, etc. ( Laura Ingalls would be proud )